Vanessa and Pia talk about both moving to Australia and moving overseas as an Australian.
Vanessa starts the talk off about Australian moving overseas, her top tips are:
- Being very organised and doing all your research (client, agencies, recruiters) prior to moving
- Having the right visas and working rights for the country you want to move to
- Checking your expectations: Understanding the type of work you can get overseas compared to your current role
Pia then talks from her experience about being a European moving to Australia, she recommends:
- when to talk to recruiters and the importance of articulating where you are in your journey (just dreaming/exploring? visa granted? landed in the country?)
- considering the time of year to arrive in Australia
- being realistic about your finances and whether it is the right time to move
- understanding your chances of sponsorship and finding work in Australia
- connecting with people in your industry prior to arriving (use LinkedIn!)
- seeking out salary guides to get an understanding of how much your experience is worth in Australia
- consider taking a language class to brush up your English skills
Vanessa and Pia also touch on the benefits of living overseas and the downsides there are to it.